Remarks: Charles Leavell arrived in El Paso in 1902 from Jewett, Texas. Upon his arrival Leavell purchased a cattle ranch and ran it until 1907. Leavell then turned his interest to real estate.
In 1906, Leavell hired the firm of Trost & Trost to design a building which was to have a basement under the entire structure and an additional three stories. There were four retail stores located on the first floor. The building was wired for electric lights and had gas lines installed. All of the floors and walls were soundproofed. The building was heated with hot water, and the total cost of the building was $22,000. Work began on the building in July of 1906, with the completion date in October of the same year. The structure was demolished in circa 1936.
Mr. Leavell is also responsible for developing the Manhattan Heights residential area, building its first residence at 3037 Federal Ave. For more information, please see http://www.henrytrost.org/buildings/leavell-building/
Text written by Margaret Smith, edited by Mark Stone
Construction Date: Jan 1, 1907
Address: East San Antonio Avenue and North Campbell Street, El Paso