The Dawson Opera House was erected in 1906 for the mining community of Dawson, New Mexico, which was in the hills southwest of today’s Raton. Designed by Trost & Trost, it was a Mission Revival/Spanish eclectic blend, with two stories and a 1,000 person seating capacity. The building also housed a Bowling Alley and some of the Phelps-Dodge corporate offices. The building was demolished circa 1950 when the mine closed, and the town was deserted. Interestingly, the city of Dawson was the fourth-largest city in New Mexico when this building was completed as Mew Mexico’s largest Theatre.
For more information, including some detailed history of the area mining operation and a narrative describing the tragic mining accidents there, please see https://www.facebook.com/TrostSociety/posts/2265965350188185
Photographs courtesy of Legends of America at https://www.legendsofamerica.com/
— Mark Stone
Construction Date: Jan 1, 1906
Address: Dawson, NM, USA